Build and Maintain Happiness Through Self-Sufficiency: Week One—Self-Sufficiency Overview
With so much stress and pain in today’s world, it’s easy to become bogged down by negative thoughts and feelings. What if I told you you can reduce your pain and focus on your own happiness? The secret? Become self-sufficient. You’ve likely heard the phrase “you are responsible for your own happiness.” Well, it’s true.
And the good news is that it is possible to build your ability to be self-sufficient. And doing so will not only help end any current stress you may be feeling, but it can also help you heal yourself and minimize stress that arises in the future.
Over the next five weeks, I’ll be exploring the concept of self-sufficiency here on the blog and talking about how you can take control of your own happiness. How self-sufficient works in relationships, how it eases stress, and how you can build your own self-sufficiency (a method that takes just 5 minutes a day).
But first, let’s explore this concept of self-sufficiency a bit more.
Becoming self-sufficient involves finding your own happiness and knowing how to tap into that happiness, even in the darkest of times.
We build the ability to find our happiness, which means we don’t have to create happiness itself. It is always available, but we just need to know where to look. The practice that we are talking about builds our ability to find it for the first time and then to be able to go there at will.
It sounds simple, but it requires your full attention. Look at everything in your life and think about how you can be self-sufficient. Make self-sufficiency your sole and singular goal to focus on. Don’t stop building self-sufficiency until you are confident that you are living your life as you want to and not a life made up of other people’s ideas about who you are and what you should be.
Self-sufficiency applies to capabilities, confidence, creative abilities, money, and emotions.Self-sufficiency in these areas will give you a set of principles to guide you in finding happiness and make you an enjoyable, attractive, and inspiring person to be around.
- Being capable means being able to independently deal with problems and opportunities that arise. It means having the tools to do whatever you set your mind to (and to be able to do it well) and training yourself in advance of a challenge so that you have the capability to face the challenge head-on and with confidence.
- Having confidence provides you with the courage to take on new things that, in turn, grows your capabilities to do other things. (Think of this as a chain reaction that leads to self-sufficiency.)
- Creative abilities are your abilities to adapt to changing life circumstance by acting skillfully, even when you are not prepared. It is taking past experience and modifying them through your own creativity to work in a new situation or deal with unexpected challenges. It is also your ability to turn a negative into a positive, flipping a half-empty glass upside down to see it as half full.
- Self-sufficiency in money means being able to do the things that we want to do without having to ask permission. It means being able to build a life according to the ideals we set for ourselves and not having to compromise. The trick to earning money is finding a balance between working for others while working for ourselves. It is important to maintain the good habits and practices of living a self-sufficient life while working for others who make demands on us that run counter to our view of what is good and beneficial.
- Self-sufficiency in emotions means that you do not need to seek support from something or someone outside of yourself to feel secure in who you are; you will not second guess your feelings because you will trust that they come from a pure place without any fear or pain colouring them. You will not fear things that might happen because you will know that you were fine before those people or things came into your life, and you will be fine even if those people or things leave your life.
Next week, I’ll talk to you about how to create healthy relationships while maintaining your self-sufficiency (yes, it is possible).
In what area of your life do you wish to become more self-sufficient in?
Subscribe HERE to receive more updates from Cove as posts are published.