Putting Our Monies Where Our Values Are
Our fiscal year 2017 turned out to be a transformational period at Cove. After clarifying our values, we redesigned our corporate brand identity, developed a new website, and grew our team. We even added our own Director of Impact, Kristy O’Leary (you’ll hear much more about her soon).
- We committed ourselves to putting our money (and time) where our mouth is by joining the 1% for the Planet* community and becoming a certified B Corp.
- We created 1% for the People, which is like 1% for the Planet except the money is allocated to causes that support human potential.
* 1% for the Planet is a global network of businesses, non-profits, and individuals working together for a healthy planet. Businesses that join 1% for the Planet commit to giving 1% of total sales each year to approved non-profit partners and must verify their giving. Learn more here.
We guided our business to align more with our passions and dreams.
Something amazing happened during this period. Not only did we feel better about ourselves, but 2017 was one of the most successful years in our company, ever. And when we are successful, we can write more cheques and contribute more of our time to helping our planet and the people we share it with. Win-win!
Cove Charitable Giving Program
But we didn’t stop there. Next, we developed a charitable giving program that reflects who we’ve become and the impact we want to have on our communities and the world.
We decided to target five key areas of impact:
- First Nations and student reconciliation action projects aimed to educate and bring our communities together
- Grass roots environmental activism through engaging students in the areas of education on environmental issues
- Environmental projects that help promote safe water and clean and efficient power sources
- Other B Corp initiatives that align with above areas
- Meditation teachers and practice
Following our key areas, we’ve made contributions to some wonderful organizations.
In addition to support for the 1% for the Planet organization directly, we’ve also contributed to the following:
- EcoJustice: Canada’s largest environmental law charity, EcoJustice leads the legal fight for a brighter environmental future.
- ORCA: Oceans Research And Conservation Association is a team of scientists on a mission to protect marine life, including whales, dolphins, sharks, salmon & seabirds, in Canada and beyond.
- Centre for Sustainable Food Systems at UBC Farms: The Centre for Sustainable Food Systems (CSFS), located at the UBC Farm, is a unique research centre that aims to understand and fundamentally transform local and global food systems towards a more sustainable, food-secure future.
- Wildsight Society: Wildsight works locally, regionally, and globally to protect biodiversity and encourage sustainable communities in Canada’s Columbia and Rocky Mountain regions.
- Barnacle Babes: Barnacle Babes was built as a platform for women to unite and share their visions for the oceans’ future.
- Seycove Social Justice Class: From March 31, 2017, to April 2, 2017, Bernie and Christie joined a small group of Seycove Secondary Social Justice students as they went to the Homalco First Nations community to participate in a Cove-sponsored community project that included a highway frontage cleanup, fruit tree planting, community hall makeover, and gardening project. They learned about Homalco and First Nations culture, history, song, and dance. Both communities parted with a sense of love, hope, happiness, and gratitude for each other, and we were proud to support their efforts.
- Cove Yoga Classes: We believe that a happy and healthy team leads to an even greater company. That’s why we invest in the mental and physical wellbeing of our staff by sponsoring a weekly yoga class at our office.
- Metta Forest Monastery: Metta Forest Monastery is a Buddhist monastery in the lineage of the Thai Forest Tradition (back to Bernie’s meditation roots). Based outside of San Diego, CA, and founded in 1990, it has been under the direction of Thanissaro Bhikkhu (Ajaan Geoff) as abbot and meditation teacher since 1993. Christie and Bernie visited in 2016 and continue to use its resources on a daily basis.
- World Vision: A global relief, development, and advocacy organization, World Vision partners with children, families, and their communities to reach their full potential by tackling the causes of poverty and injustice.
At Cove, we believe in having a positive impact on not only our clients and coworkers but also the larger global community and environmental ecosystems we are a part of. We believe in putting our money where our values are.
What do you value? Do you have an impact plan? We’d love to hear about it.
Subscribe HERE to receive more updates from Cove as posts are published.